from Chapter Ten: Home Again

I’m going to start posting short excerpts from the book. Also bear in mind that I will send the first two chapters to anyone who requests them, at no cost. (See contact info to the right.) I’m confident that anyone who reads the first two chapters will want to read the rest of the book. Just bear in mind that the book is a true story and contains adult language, graphics sex, alcohol and drug use. If you are offended by any of these, the book is probably not for you. But if you know anyone dealing with addiction, this book may be just what they need.

Sincere thanks,
Xavier


************

The next day I called Liz. She wanted to know why I didn't call as soon as I had gotten home, why I hadn't called even once while I was away, and when was she going to see me. I ignored the first two questions and assured her that she would see me later in the day. A few hours and quite a few drinks later I went to see her. When I arrived, Liz was smiling but she looked sad. For a moment we both hesitated then I put my arms around her and kissed her. Liz kissed me with passion and I did my best to match her intensity. When we broke apart, she spoke first. “I missed you Xavier.”
“I missed you too,” I lied.
“But you never called,” she said.
“Baby I'm sorry,” I said, at a loss for words. In an attempt to get some control of the situation I pulled her close so I could caress her back.
Liz pulled away. “No Xavier. Talk to me. What's going on?”
“Sweetheart I don't know what you’re talking about,” I said.
“How could you not know?” she asked. “You haven't seen me in three weeks and you have to get drunk before you can come spend some time with me. What am I supposed to think?” Liz waited for an answer but when it was clear that none was forthcoming, she continued. “Does that seem normal to you Xavier?”
Desperate to gain the upper hand I played the sympathy card. “Honey I know you’re right but I've had a lot on my mind. The doctors all looked at my neck and it looks really bad. Permanent damage.”
Liz' tone changed immediately. “Oh my God. Baby are you going to be OK?”
Relieved that the emotional balance had shifted in my favor, I continued the ruse. “Well, there's not much more they can do now, but I may have to fly back up there in a few months.”
Liz wrapped her arms around me. “Baby I'm sorry I gave you a hard time. But I'm your girl. You don't have to go through this alone. I'm here for you.”
I started to gently caress her back. “I know you are. I should have called you while I was away, but I didn't want to worry you. Forgive me baby. I was wrong.”
Liz squeezed even more tightly. “It's OK, I understand.”I could feel the tension finally leave her shoulders as I continued to caress her back. I leaned forward and whispered in her ear, “I missed you.”
.../...



Copyright © 2007 Xavier Pierre Jr. All rights reserved.

6 comments:

    nice blog man, u write well

    Look at you, thanks for the comment and i wish i could have been the first to comment on this one but i was defeated. I like this and just so you know, camille read one of your other books to me. I liked the subject matter although i couldnt bear fondness for the main character because of his ethic, but i cant deny
    (and would never think to) the prowess of mr xavier. keep it up man

    Nice writing...need more.

    Awesomely intriguing as usual.

    U know I miss reading over here. Well Iz back at it!

    Miss u lil bro!

    @Torrance: Thank you, much appreciated

    @Nique: Let's face it, in a past life, I was a pig. No denying that. But the key word is "past" so today I know peace. :-)

    @MizR: Shall I send you the first 2 chapters or do you want to go ahead and purchase an autographed copy of the book? :-)

    @Deirdre: Hey sis! I see you ova there doing big thangs. :-D XOX

    i love the blog,u write really well