from Chapter Eleven: Spiraling Down

Get the first two chapters of the Lovers Anonymous FREE just by Clicking here.

Find out what everyone has been talking about. Purchase Lovers Anonymous from one of these online vendors:

***********************************

.../...

Jack stood up abruptly, “I’m sorry Xavier but my decision is final. There are no other options on the table.” Jack waited for me to stand. I rose slowly to my feet but I couldn’t believe this was happening. Once I was standing, Jack came around the desk and put his hands on my shoulders. “Xavier, you’re an incredibly bright young man. Don’t throw your future away. Get help.” I was speechless. Jack led me to his door, opened it and gave me a firm handshake. “Good luck Xavier.”

After an awkward pause I managed two words, “yes sir,” turned and walked away. I was too stunned to be angry. All I knew was that I had to get the hell out of there.

I went to my office and sent an email to my staff advising them that I was taking the rest of the day off. My motorcycle had been stolen a week earlier and it was taking a while to get a new one issued to me so I called Jean and requested a driver to take me home. I explained that it was urgent and that I didn’t care about the new director’s updated policies and procedures. I needed a driver and I needed one immediately. Half an hour later, Jean called to tell me that a driver was waiting for me in the parking lot. I shook my head, “the fucking parking lot?” I wanted to give Jean a piece of my mind but I understood that he didn’t want to get in trouble. The parking lot wasn’t visible from Jack’s office. Once we got under way I was tempted to stop for a drink but I decided against it and went straight home.

That night I went to the Flamenco. I was determined to drink as much as I wanted and be at work on time the next day. I didn’t have a fucking drinking problem! I just had to be more careful and not drink on an empty stomach. Better nutrition, more rest, exercise, not push myself so hard at work, if I did all those things I’d be fine. Of course having a fucking girlfriend who understood me would be nice too. But fuck Liz. Fuck all the bitches!!! I didn’t need them.

As I sat brooding over a tumbler of Jack Daniels, Bryan came over and sat across from me. “You OK Xavier?”

I looked at Bryan. He’d been my friend for many years. If there was anyone I could talk to it was him. “Let me ask you something Bryan, do you think I’m an alcoholic?”

Bryan smiled, “No Xavier, I don’t think you’re an alcoholic…” Bryan’s smile became a grin, “…you’re just a good old-fashioned drunk!” And with that he burst into raucous laughter. It took Bryan a while to realize I wasn’t laughing. Once he did, he put a hand on my shoulder, “don’t worry buddy, I’m just an old-fashioned drunk myself so that makes two of us.”

I forced a laugh, but there was nothing funny about Bryan’s comment. He had described me perfectly; alcoholic was too fancy a label for me, I really was just an old-fashioned drunk; exactly the type of person who would sleep on the sidewalk. Bryan offered me a zombie on the house to cheer me up. I gladly accepted it but after just a few more drinks I went home. I needed booze more than ever, but I just couldn’t enjoy it like I used to.

.../...


Copyright © 2007-2008 Xavier Pierre Jr. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

    On March 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM Anonymous said...

    I am so proud of you and so happy for you!

    Hi,

    I'm new here. I love your blog.
    Your writing style is... what's the word?... Superb!

    congratulations.