from Chapter Seven: Butterflies

Do you shop at Target? Target is the latest vendor to sell Lovers Anonymous. Find out what everyone has been talking about: Click here to purchase the book from Target.

Or if you prefer, purchase from one of there vendors:

***********************************

.../...

The next day, Saturday, I went to the motor pool and got my motorcycle. That was my favorite form of transportation. Since I was the only assigned rider, my blue and black Suzuki was exactly where I had left it more than a month earlier. If I ever needed a jeep, all I had to do was ask for one, which is what I usually requested for the weekends. Because of my neck, I hadn’t ridden in a month. I barely even drove. But being chauffeured around was getting lame and that day, I definitely wanted to feel the rush of air.
I rode for several hours far up into the mountains that overlooked the bay of Port-au-Prince and away from any roads. I rode until even the trails became nothing more than goat paths. I rode until there were no homes and no sign of human presence. The further up I went, the cooler it got. Lord, it felt good to breathe crisp, clean, mountain air!
When I was far enough up the mountain that an encounter with another human was almost impossible, I got off the bike and sat on a boulder. I lit a cigarette and looked off into the distance. Through the haze I could see the island of La Gonave; just a formless blotch of grayish brown, competing with the setting sun for my attention. It was no contest. La Gonave didn’t stand a chance. But as the sun started to set, it made a token gesture to the island by highlighting its edges with a temporary crown of fiery red. It was time to ride home.
I prepared myself for the adrenaline rush that was to come. I was far from any road and soon it would be dark. I had to ride hard and fast through fields, hills, valleys, and ravines while there was still light. I decided on the most dangerous route. Rather than go back the way I had come, I would take the long way, forward over this mountain and down the other side to the very bottom and take the dry riverbed back to town. It was a crazy thing to do, all the more so because I had no protective gear other than my helmet. It didn't even occur to me that I had so recently broken my neck and I was supposed to be taking it easy.
The race was on as I gunned the throttle and tore up the grassy mountainside looking for any shortcut to the top. Every second was precious. I had to fly, and fly is what I did. At almost no time were both wheels on the ground together and quite often I would be soaring through the air, using any available surface as a ramp. The feeling was wonderful; I was getting high off the adrenaline flowing freely though my body as I maneuvered my bike across the landscape. When I flew over the top and started my descent down the other side, my momentum, gravity, and the terrain all conspired to force me into a straight line down the steep mountainside, but that would have meant certain death. I fought the mountain, pulling first to the right, then to the left, zigzagging my way down the slope. As I rode, only one mistake away from serious injury or worse, I couldn’t help thinking: If I were to fall and die what a glorious end it would be! We all had to die sooner or later, but to die on my terms, that would be something indeed. I clenched my teeth and pushed the death wish out of my mind. Some day, perhaps some day soon, but not that day! I had no intentions of surrendering my life to this mountain. I rode for all I was worth, racing not only against the mountain, but also against the setting sun.


Copyright © 2007-2008 Xavier Pierre Jr. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

    I have great memories of Haiti

    That was very visual...I didn't know you were Haitian, my ex is Hatian. Although we were supposed to visit Haiti, we never did, but the pictures are beautiful.

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    i am not even going to read this one, let me get my ass up and go buy the book, be back bro, love.